Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sawyer"s Arrival!

Clint returned to Houston on August 3rd. We decided to have a weekend of playing, a weekend of our birthing classes, and then we would get to work on the nursery, laundry, and all the other important baby preparations. We did visit friends the weekend before Sawyer came and the picture below is taken just 3 days before his arrival, hence it was my latest pregnancy picture and I was huge!

Well Sawyer came a little earlier than expected so we never got a chance to get ready for him. Tuesday, August 19th began like any other day. We both left for work at 6:00 a.m. I was feeling great and had big plans to spend the next few weeks getting the baby's things together. At 7:30, while sitting at my desk, I noticed I was bleeding. I had a good friend and coworker rush me to the Women's hospital where Clint met us by 8:30. Shortly after that the bleeding stopped. Some tests were performed and it appeared that I had a slight abruption of the placenta. The baby appeared to be fine so I was told that they were going to observe me for 24 hours then send me home. At 10:30 p.m. I had another round of significant bleeding and the doctor immediately made the decision to take the baby. I was rushed back to the operating room for an emergency c-section.


At 11:59 p.m. on August 19th, Sawyer Philip Aichele was born weighing 6 lbs 13.5 oz and 19 inches long. Because he was premature at 35 weeks he was immediately taken by the neonatologist. Clint was allowed to go with him. They quickly realized that the abruption of the placenta was more serious than first thought and Sawyer had lost a lot of blood and fluids. He was placed in the NICU the first night and received two blood transfusions and put on IV fluids. The abruption was moderate with a 20% separation of the placenta from the uterus. Typically it is the mother who suffers with loss of blood during an abruption, but our situation was unique with Sawyer losing the blood. He had a scary arrival into this world, but fortunately he was greeted by loving parents, grandparents and more. You can see in the pictures below how sick he was. He is a survivor and he perked up quickly.

1 comment:

Paul and Sabrina said...

Yea! I'm so excited you have a blog now.