Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 1 - NICU

As Sawyer got settled into the NICU, I got settled into my room just down the hall. By the time I woke up on Wednesday morning, my mother had arrived in Houston. She was a life saver considering Clint and I were in total shock. Sawyer spent 6 days in the NICU and I was allowed to stay 5 days in the hospital so we were only separated for one night. Clint and I tried to give him all his feedings and changings and tried to hold him as much as they would let us. The milestones Sawyer achieved in the hospital were he started holding his own temperature, he took a bottle (quite passionately I might add), he was taken off the IV fluids, his hemoglobin stabilized, and he started breastfeeding. The NICU is a very sad place, but we were fortunate as Sawyer was the healthiest baby in there.

No comments: