Sunday, June 21, 2009

The House = Spider Infestation, May 26th-May 29th

Back in Bartlesville we crashed with Ashley’s, then finally closed on our house on Wednesday, May 27th. We knew the house would need some work, but it wasn’t until we bought it that we realized how much. There was a serious odor problem, the carpet was so dirty that Sawyer was black from crawling on it, and there was dirt everywhere. Also the dishwasher broke the first night (Clint fixed it), the AC kept breaking, it rained and we realized the gutters was ruined, we had a leak in the new roof, there must have been a cat that used the master closets as the litter box, the shower was leaking out the door onto everything, the toilet broke, then the sprinkler system broke, serious odor problems, and that was just the beginning. This doesn’t even include the remodeling projects we needed to do.

The worst problem (which has yet to be resolved, we think everything else is getting under control at this point) is the ant and brown recluse infestation. Yes, we bought a house with a brown recluse infestation. I know we are freaking out too. The pest guys have been out 5 times in 3 weeks. We even have a rug rat which makes us worry more. The ants go away for a few days, but then they come back. I have spent every night caulking holes I think the ants might be coming in from (for some reason I don’t remember to do this until 11:00 at night), and let me remind you that we have had the house sprayed 3 times in 3 weeks. I normally try to have a chemical free home (I use vinegar and baking soda for most of my cleaning), but I can’t live like this.

On the bright side we do like the house, the ants are getting better, and the spiders should be under control in the next few months. Right now everything is working, so we are ready to start painting and decorating.

Sawyer got his second tooth this week. I love his toothy grin. The house also has a great play room off the kitchen which has been wonderful. He really is into his toys, especially this oversize horse we call Buck. He loves to give Buck hugs.

No comments: