Saturday, January 5, 2013

8th Wedding Anniversary

On November 20th Clint and I celebrated 8 years of marriage.  It may not have been our most romantic anniversary considering I was a large 8 months pregnant, but we still have a blast together and appreciate and love each other more than ever before.  This year more than ever, I am so thankful that I have been blessed with such a perfect partner who still treats me like a queen even when he is overworked and exhausted. 

We decided to head to Oklahoma City for our anniversary.  We stayed at the historic Skirvin.  We had an amazing dinner at the super modern Red Prime Steak where we were treated especially well even after our brown sugar encrusted filet with truffle butter sauce.  The Skirvin was decorated for Christmas which was a treat because it was only November 20th and it was beautiful.



Wednesday we woke up and went to the also historic Cattleman's for breakfast.  I cannot attest to their lunch and dinner menu, but breakfast was delicious!





I wanted to include an update about the adults.  This year has been rocky for me.  I did my best to manage a move, family drama and a pregnancy (and miscarriage) among other things.  I have to admit that I have compensated for the stress by enjoying my boys.   We have spent a lot of time playing (time I probably should have been more productive, but wouldn't trade it for the world.)  I enjoyed jazzercise the first half of the year, but have not been able to work out much the second half besides a little running.  I have gained so much weight with this pregnancy, but haven't been too concerned considering the year we had.  I still try to find time to read and cook healthy meals.  I have greatly missed my Bartlesville friends, but really enjoyed the gals I've met in Stillwater.  The highlight of my year has been lunch dates with Clint.  In Stillwater our dates have always involved Starbucks to the point that every Tuesday/Thursday they make our drinks for us as we walk in without ordering (two tall dark pour overs one with cream).  I'm not sure I should be proud about that fact.  Overall I've been crazy about my precious boys and appreciated any time with my sisters and mother who become more dear to me every day.  Honestly I feel this year has officially christened me as a full blown adult.

Clint has really grown up too.  When he got the offer at the beginning of the year to be a professor, he started preparing.  This involved negotiating, getting publications together, and planning for our family.  He had a hiccup when one of his papers got rejected.  He was told by many people and managers to drop the situation, but Clint is tenacious and did not roll over that easy.  He found an advocate in the company who spoke up on his behalf.  Funny enough, it was all a big misunderstanding and Clint was given permission to move forward with external publication.  It was a stressful few weeks, but a great lesson in perseverance for our entire family.  

Clint's new job has required a huge pay cut and hours we could not have imagined.  The expectations of a nontenured professor in engineering is impossible to meet.  But what's he to do than work his a#$ off.  Clint would surely go crazy without the admiration of his Beaugre. Unfortunately for Clint, since he took his new job he has really only had time for work and his boys.  I have had to pick up the rest of the family responsibilities.  Hopefully it will pay off in a few years.  As Clint puts it, "I can see how this could be a great job eventually." 



No comments: