Monday, March 30, 2015

Sawyer's Art Award


Sawyer loves to create art.  His favorite is to draw, but he loves any craft.  We made the boys a crafting/art station in the office and Sawyer spends a lot of time there.  This year we encouraged him to submit a drawing to the PTA Reflections Art Competition.  He really wanted to, but for some reason dragged his feet (he was going through a ''I don't want to do anything my parents want to do'' grumpy phase).  At the last minute he finally put together a picture, but definitely not his best.

When the award ceremony came around we attended.  We found his drawing hanging up in the atrium and saw that he won an honorable mention award.  We then moved to the auditorium.  Clint's boss's boss's wife was the coordinator.  She knows Clint.  All 165 entries got recognized, a certificate or award, to come on stage, and shake a bunch of peoples hands.  We waited and waited but they never called Sawyer's name.  She completely missed his name.  He was so deflated that he didn't get called or get to go on stage.  Of course I pointed out this mistake after the awards ceremony (very nicely though I was fuming because like I said I was addressing the issue with Clint's boss's boss's wife) and made sure he got to go on stage, but it wasn't the same.  It is also important to point out that Sawyer had been going through a very melancholy stage and this did not help the situation.




Clint and I decided we would make it a big deal and let him pick a reward.  I suggested the typical, ice cream, movie night, . . . but he chose going to the antique mall and buying this golden shovel he spotted there 6 months previous.  He had never mentioned it before but he remembered.  Now the antique mall is really just a giant junk store (like 10,000 sq ft).  It is so crammed with stuff and it is just room after room of junk.  But he remembered exactly where it was and it was still there! And it was only $3.99! (I was secretly scared to death it would be out of our price range).  And the golden shovel did seem to make everything better.

No comments: